Wednesday, November 14, 2007

How it all started

So much to tell - running started out as a simple means of walking my Sheltie Penny back in November of 2002. Walking turned to jogging, jogging turned to running. Penny didn't want to go anymore - a 15 pound Sheltie has a hard time running alongside a 252 pound (at that time) long legged man. So I carried on by myself.

I used to run with Scott, a wonderful friend of mine. In March of 2003 I decided to run in my first race in downtown Atlanta, the "Hunger Run" - a 10K race followed by a 5K fun run. I did them both.

In the summer I decided to run the Peachtree Road Race. Did that 4 years in a row.

Ran many 5k races, 10k's, Jingle Jogs, Turkey Trots, whatever, all the while losing so much weight that many people thought I was sick.

Until finally I decided it was time to run a marathon, which I did for the first time in November of 2004 - 2 years after I began running. This was the Chickamauga Battlefield Marathon near Ft. Oglethorpe, GA and it was a great time. I finished in 4:51 and met a man named Jack who was my running partner for the entire event. We've kept in touch via email to this very day.

So this was the path that took me to running 3 marathons this year, 2007 - The Walt Disney World Marathon on January 7th - the Marine Corps Marathon on October 28, then the New York Marathon on November 4.

Christ ran with me every step of the way. He holds my hand and tells me that "You can do it." Some might think me foolish or crazy for such a statement, but the truth is the truth and my friend Jesus is by my side all the time - and supporting me when I run. I run for him, thus my email address "run4jc58" (the 58 is the year I was born) - jc being Jesus Christ. I intend for this blog, this new way to express oneself in this day and time, to be my way of posting my feelngs about the marathons and how my Lord and my family carried me through athletic events that are beyond me physically. There will be blogs about all three, starting with the last one first, the NY Marathon.

Why? Why NOT? So if you find anything about this interesting, please check back soon - there's much more to come.

No comments: